Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom tried for years before she finally invented the right lasagna recipe. I only changed the cheeses (adding some Ricotta) and now it is the BEST lasagna in the universe!
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (I don't like big chunks)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cottage cheese (I use 1/2 lb. Cottage cheese lb. Ricotta cheese)
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (I use more than that)
- 14 pieces lasagna noodles (I usually use less)
- Brown beef, onion and garlic in oil. Add the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients and simmer 30 minutes uncovered.
- Mix eggs, cottage cheese (and ricotta cheese), salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread a light covering of meat sauce in bottom of large baking dish.
- Layer ½ of the lasagna noodles. Spread ½ the cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles, lay ½ mozzarella cheese on top of that.
- Put ½ the meat mixture on top of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle ½ the Parmesan cheese on top of meat, repeat (starting with noodles).
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes or you’ll have a slimy mess on your hands!
Wow! This was awesome! I did add 1 tsp. Italian seasoning and a little less salt (personal preference). I used 8 oz. of mozzarella and 8 oz. of cheddar for even more taste. Also, I used 10 noodles. Thanks for posting!