Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I've made this for years and everyone loves it. You might want to try a variation on this that I've tried recently. Try adding in 1/2 lb of sweet italian sausage. I use the natural casing kind. Take the stuffing out of the casing and brown it with the ground beef - yum!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 1⁄2 ounces lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, diced
- In a large pot, cook ground beef and onions until ground beef is browned and onions are tender. Drain fat.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid and next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf. Cook lasagna noodles as directed on the label; drain.
- In a 13" by 9" baking dish, arrange half of lasagna noodles overlapping to fit. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In small bowl, combine eggs and ricotta cheese. Spoon half of this mixture on top of noodles in baking dish and smooth out.
- Sprinkle ½ of the mozzarella and ½ of the sauce on top of the noodles. Repeat layers.
- Place in oven for 45 minutes. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I have never made lasagna before, my husband loved it! Thanks for posting.
I loved this, it was really simple to make, but the end result was amazing! Thanks!