Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a typical Maltese dish, originating from near-by Italy.
- 125 g instant lasagna sheets
- 250 g tomatoes, pulp
- 100 g tomato paste (kunserva)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 250 g ground beef
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 200 g ricotta cheese (cottage cheese is a good substitute)
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs
- 100 g bechamel sauce
- 50 g cream
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons corn oil or 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- First prepare the sauce. Dice the onion. Fry this in the oil until soft. Add the ground beef and fry till colour is grey. Then add the tomato pulp and bring to boil.
- Immediately lower heat and add kunserva, bay leaf, sugar and pepper, stirring well from time to time with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 15mins, then remove the bay leaf.
- Place one thin layer of the sauce in a greased (12 x 6inch ) metal or pyrex dish. Cover completely with lasagna sheets.
- Place another layer of sauce and pressed down into it, a layer of ricotta cheese. Cover with some more sauce, and another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Place another layer of sauce and cover this with the bechamel sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Finish your work off by adding the cream to the sides of your dish and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on the surface. You can refridgerate, if you wish, at this point.
- This last step is done just before serving. Cook on medium heat in an oven for about 30 mins until the surface is golden brown but not burnt. Enjoy !