Recipe by nranger7
NO cottage cheese! NO ricotta cheese! Mozzarella ONLY. Thanks to my aunt for finding this recipe. No one in the family is fond of cottage or ricotta cheese so this recipe is definitely a favorite! I prefer ground beef to Italian sausage. I also use shredded mozzarella cheese instead of sliced. And although the recipe calls for boiling water, I usually don't bother boiling it first. (I only have one pot! LOL!)
Top Review by sherrybaskin
My son prefers no ricotta so I tried this recipe. Very easy to do. I did not cook pasta so I added another cup of water to the sauce and cooked a little longer. It is very tasty and not complicated at all. Will definitely do this one again.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage or 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons other Italian spices
- 1⁄2 lb cooked and drained lasagna noodle
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sliced mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry garlic and onion in hot oil until soft.
- Add meat and cook until crumbly.
- Drain oil.
- Mix in salt, pepper, spices, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- In a shallow 9x13 inch pyrex dish, put a thin layer of sauce.
- Layer in half the noodles, sauce and top with half the cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares.