Recipe by Barb G.
This lasagna is made with low-fat yogurt in place of ricotta. Not only are you getting the added health benefits of cooking with yogurt, but you are also bringing the calories "WHEY" down. Time is not included for straining whey from yogurt. The recipe comes from Stonyfield Farm.
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups yellow squash, shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups plain yogurt cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 (32 ounce) jar pasta sauce, your favorite
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a yogurt cheese maker OR layered cheese cloth, strain the whey from 1-quart of yogurt. Let strain overnight to make yogurt cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a large mixing bowl, fold the vegetables, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, herbs, salt, pepper and eggs into the yogurt cheese.
- In a 9x13 inch pan place a couple of tablespoons of pasta sauce on bottom, spreading evenly: place a layer noodles in pan over sauce. Top with half of the vegetable filling, then half of the pasta sauce, Repeat for the second layer; Finish with the remaining noodles and cheese.
- Bake covered with foil (release foil works great) for 1 hour, remove foil the last 10 minutes for cheese to brown, Serve warm.