Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Courtesy of Cookie Madness.net, Anna and Larry. Saw this on A Taste of Cuba.com and I thought it sounded very interesting - so am sharing.
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, un-drained
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 lb angel food cake mix
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup limeade, from concentrate
- powdered sugar (reviewer used 4 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 -4 tablespoons rum (add more if you want) (optional)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Lite (a little over 3 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted shredded sweetened coconut
- lime zest
- mint leaf
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a 13×9 inch metal pan with cooking spray.
- If you use a Pyrex dish, reduce the heat to 325ºF.
- You can also use a 15×10 inch pan, which is what Larry uses.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the pineapple, lime juice, rum, and angel food cake mix.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake it using the following cook times - 18-24 minutes for a 15×10 inch pan or about 25 minutes for a 13×9 inch pan.
- Let cool completely in pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and limeade concentrate.
- Check for sweetness.
- Add sugar if you feel you need it - I used 4 tablespoons.
- Beat in rum extract and rum, if using,, then fold in Cool Whip Lite.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with coconut and lime zest.
- Top each serving with mint leaves.
- Larry says, "One last thing. It’s fairly low fat. You could get away with using Cool Whip Free rather than Cool Whip Lite, but I personally would not trade out the low fat cream cheese for fat free because the texture would not be as smooth.".