Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A filing, but relatively light, main course.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 ounces fresh grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 ounces fresh grated asiago cheese
- 6 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons chopped black olives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the beef in a medium hot skillet with the olive oil. Drain and reserve.
- Finely chop the vegetables and mince the garlic with the salt.
- Grate and combine the two cheeses and divide into 3 equal portions.
- Sweat the carrot and celery until soft and add the onion and garlic. Continue to sweat for a minute or two. Blend with a submersible blender to a smooth consistency.
- Incorporate the sauce, paste, honey, beef, and broth and mix well. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Put one portion of the sauce in the bottom of a medium casserole. Add two of the noodles and one portion of the cheeses. Repeat two more times and finally cover all with the fourth portion of sauce.
- Sprinkle the chopped olives on top and bake for one hour. Let it set up for 15 minutes before serving.