Recipe by Acerast
My dear FIL makes a mean chili. Since he was raised in Texas, you won't find any beans in this recipe. Delicious!
- 8 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless pork butt
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 3 1⁄2 cups beer
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup chili powder (pure red, no additives)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons oregano (preferably mexican)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Add onions and cook until tender.
- Transfer bacon/onion mixture to a large 6-8 quart pot.
- Cut beef and pork into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Brown beef and pork in batches.
- Add beef and pork to pot with bacon/onion mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients except lime juice to pot.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 2 - 2 1/2 hours until tender, stirring occasionally and skimming off fat.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Serve with warm, soft tortillas.