Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom received this recipe from her friend Larry..the real name is Koyaanisqatsi Chili. Spiciness can be adjusted according to taste. Prep time is approximate, as I've never done it all in one sitting.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 8 ounces ketchup
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 7 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 12 ounces malt vinegar (use Malta Goya if you can find it) or 12 ounces malt syrup (use Malta Goya if you can find it)
- 4 ounces salsa
- 3 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 4 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Fry the meat, drain, and set aside.
- Saute garlic in oil until brown. Add the onions.
- Add the peppers; saute briefly. Then remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute the spices in the same pan (add a few tsps of oil if necessary).
- After 1 min, add half the can of beef broth and mix.
- Combine all ingredients, including the ones sauteed in a large crockpot and mix thoroughly.
- Add tomato paste or broth to thicken to your liking.
- Simmer until heated through (about an hour), stirring occasionally.