Recipe by kristenmf5
No oils or fats, just the basics. Very tasty. Revision of McDougall recipe, so I don't have to use a partial packet of yeast.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, and
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons wheat gluten, and
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons wheat gluten
- 2 1⁄8 teaspoons salt (I use a pinch or two)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, and
- 3 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons honey, and
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons honey (You can substitute other sweeteners like maple syrup, or brown sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flour, wheat gluten and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the warm water into a bread machine or mixing bowl of a mixer with a dough hook.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Dissolve the honey in yeast mixture.
- Add flour. Knead with a dough hook for 4 to 6 minutes or follow your bread machine's instructions and skip steps 6-8.
- Place dough in a metal bowl and cover with a cloth for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Form into a loaf and place in a large loaf pan or two small loaf pans and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 30 - 40 minutes until your loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the top.
- Let cool and enjoy.