Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My husband and his parents love tapioca. Every time they visit I make a batch. Large pearl tapioca can be hard to find in a grocery store (it's one of those time consuming things to cook) but I find them in Asian grocery stores.
- 99.22 g large pearl tapioca or 236.59 ml large pearl tapioca
- 1182.95 ml milk
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- Bring milk to a boil in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Add salt and tapioca to milk.
- Stirring constantly, cook tapioca in double boiler for 1 hour or until tapioca is clear and milk is thickened.
- Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until firm peaks, set aside.
- Beat yolks with remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Temper yolks with some of the hot custard.
- Stir tempered yolks into hot custard, cook over double boiler an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat and gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour tapioca into a serving bowl, cover and chill.
I love tapioca, but usually use instant in order to avoid the soaking time. When I want it, I want it now! This is a great recipe that requires no soaking.<br/><br/>If you use a double boiler, why would you need to stir constantly? I just put it in a pot and stirred frequently and it was dandy with just the right tapioca lumpiness. Tapioca is not a gourmet dish! I'm making this again today with 1/2 the sugar. It's way too sweet as is, and if I need it sweeter when I eat it, I'll add a dollop of blackberry jam. Yummy.
Excellent recipe but even with half the sugar it was still too sweet.
Great recipe. Would make again. <br/><br/>I would modify a few things though next time:<br/>1) Add slightly less sugar...maybe use 3/4 cup. It does seem a bit sweet and I even have a sweet tooth!<br/>2) I would cool my tapioca mixture slightly before folding in egg whites on the last step.....I chucked it all together right after taking it off the stove and I think it cooked the whites a bit and made it chunky...as it would....I should have known better.