Recipe by Chefiebig
My husband and his parents love tapioca. Every time they visit I make a batch. Large pearl tapioca can be hard to find in a grocery store (it's one of those time consuming things to cook) but I find them in Asian grocery stores.
Top Review by Golden Fleece
This is an excellent base recipe with a few modifications. First, it only needs 1/3 cup of sugar. Second, soak the tapioca pearls overnight in the same milk you will use for the recipe. It shortens the cook time considerably, and you don't need to use a double broiler as the cook time is much quicker. (Naturally, you have to babysit it without the double broiler) Also, there is no reason for all the foolishness of separating the eggs and folding them back in. Just skip that part completely; your tapioca will be richer tasting because of being slightly more dense. Third, it's extremely important to use high quality tapioca pearls. That can be tricky--- I find if the pearls are all very consistent with a perfect round shape, they have been processed well. My family enjoys very large pearls. Lastly, after you have tempered the eggs put them back into the main pot, and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so, check your salt and vanilla. You may, or may not, need to add a little bit more.
- 99.22 g large pearl tapioca or 236.59 ml large pearl tapioca
- 1182.95 ml milk
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to a boil in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Add salt and tapioca to milk.
- Stirring constantly, cook tapioca in double boiler for 1 hour or until tapioca is clear and milk is thickened.
- Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until firm peaks, set aside.
- Beat yolks with remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Temper yolks with some of the hot custard.
- Stir tempered yolks into hot custard, cook over double boiler an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat and gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour tapioca into a serving bowl, cover and chill.