1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe from my ex-husband's wife, LaRenne. She said it is her mom's recipe. We like it because it is another way to use lentils other than just the regular way. I grew up in a vegetarian home and still like my vegetarian recipes even though we do eat meat...fish, chicken etc. This is a good recipe and I think most will like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread (not dried)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced and sauteed (or you can use 2 Tbsp. onion powder if you don't have an onion on hand)
- 1 -1 1/2 cup grated carrot (large grate)
- 1 -2 celery rib, chopped fine (Sauteed with the onion)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped fine (I do mine in the food processor until fine but not mealy)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (Lite)
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon crushed tomatoes (from a 28 oz. can)
- 1Mix ingredients for loaf and let stand 15 minutes to set up.
- 2Put in a 5x8 or 9x9 pan and spread with topping.
- 3Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or until edges are crusty.
- 4Let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing and eating.
- 5Serve with a salad, mashed potatoes and gravy and your favorite vegetable.
- 6Prep. time includes the 15 minutes to set up before putting in pan to bake.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Larenne's Old Fashioned Lentil Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.8
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 1018.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.6 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 35.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat bread