Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from my ex-husband's wife, LaRenne. She said it is her mom's recipe. We like it because it is another way to use lentils other than just the regular way. I grew up in a vegetarian home and still like my vegetarian recipes even though we do eat meat...fish, chicken etc. This is a good recipe and I think most will like it.
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed whole wheat bread (not dried)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced and sauteed (or you can use 2 Tbsp. onion powder if you don't have an onion on hand)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup grated carrot (large grate)
- 1 -2 celery rib, chopped fine (Sauteed with the onion)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped fine (I do mine in the food processor until fine but not mealy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (Lite)
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon crushed tomatoes (from a 28 oz. can)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, Mix well and spread over loaf before putting in oven
- Mix ingredients for loaf and let stand 15 minutes to set up.
- Put in a 5x8 or 9x9 pan and spread with topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or until edges are crusty.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing and eating.
- Serve with a salad, mashed potatoes and gravy and your favorite vegetable.
- Prep. time includes the 15 minutes to set up before putting in pan to bake.