Recipe by Tracy K
Spicy Thai chicken salad, with a wonderful variety of flavors and textures. Use fresh herbs in this recipe, dried will not even come close! Use of boneless, skinless chicken and no added oil makes this a very tasty low-fat dish. Source: Somchet Chumpapo
Top Review by sarosundram
This recipe is missing essential ingredients: LEMONGRASS: freshly chopped in tiny rings Sesame oil: 1-2 tsp (a few sesame seeds optional) Gallanga root (if not available use young ginger): a tiny bit finely chopped Red/Green chillies: amount to taste -- chopped NO CAYENNE PEPPER!!!!! No chile past necessary. Also garlic should be finely minced and browned in a little oil instead of the paste.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, minced in food processor (do not sub ground chicken, it is too fatty!)
- 1 tablespoon roasted rice powder (available in Asian markets or you can make your own by roasting raw rice in a dry skillet till brown)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
- thinly sliced cabbage or lettuce, for serving
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat, no oil necessary.
- Add chicken, stir until cooked through.
- Remove from heat, drain excess liquid.
- Add fish sauce and lime juice.
- Toss all together with cilantro, onion, shallots, mint, cayenne, rice powder, and ground chile/garlic paste.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately over lettuce leaves or thinly sliced cabbage.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs.