Recipe by NOOBchef
This is the cake I make for birthdays . Its simple , delicious and ... well , my signature :) The cake is pretty forgiving, quite dense and cracks on top - I got the recipe from a cooking course, the icing is also one of my recipes and the mousse can come from a mix.
- 185 g butter, room temperature and chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, sifted
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons plain yogurt (can be low fat or sweetened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons boiling water
- 350 g rich chocolate mousse mix
Directions See How It's Made
- [IN THE EVENING BEFORE]
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan and preheat oven to 160/375 degrees Celcius / Farenheit.
- On a low speed, beat butter, essence, sugar, eggs, flour, cocoa and water in a large bowl until they are well mixed.
- Then beat at a higher speed until the colour of the mixture changes and everything is very well mixed.
- Spread into pan.
- Bake for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare mousse.
- Leave them both to cool/chill during the night.
- [IN THE MORNING].
- Cut cake in half (carefully !).
- Spread mousse evenly across the bottom half and position top half on top - carefully push it down a bit to 'set' it.
- Make icing - stir yoghurt and vanilla into icing sugar until thick.
- Quickly add and mix in the hot water.
- Immediately spread on cake.
- I suggest decorating it with chocolate letters, chopped almonds or dusted cocoa.
- Also try subbing the chocolate mousse with straciatella mousse.