William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe was handed down to me by both my Mother and Grandmother that dates back to the 1920's. Women in the earlier days had to create many recipes as money was not readily available to purchase store products.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To a large saucepan, add water and bring to boil.
- 2Add butter to boiled water and let dissolve, whisk well to blend; let cool to warm.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, add salt, eggs and beat well.
- 4Gradually add water/butter mixture to eggs and whisk well to blend.
- 5Add flour to egg mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 6Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
- 7Cut dough into pieces to form dough balls the size of a medium orange.
- 8Cover dough balls with a damp cloth while rolling out dough.
- 9Using a wooden rolling pin, roll each dough ball until paper thin or as thin as possible.
- 10Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 11Place dough circles on a large round pizza cooking sheet.
- 12Dry each dough circle in the preheated oven until dry to the touch, about 20 minutes, BUT DO NOT BROWN.
- 13Fold each dried dough circles individually into a fold that is about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- 14Cover folded dough with a cloth until all circles are dried and folded.
- 15On a cutting board, using a very sharp knife, cut off very thin slices, cutting on a slight angle and cutting across the 1 1/2 inch fold.
- 16Spread cut strands on cookie sheets and dry in a preheated 350 F oven for about 20 minutes, or until nice and crisp,stirring the strands at least twice during the drying process.
- 17Cool completely and store in noodles in glass jars with a tight fitting lid.
- 18Use in soups or make a Lapshevnik.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lapsha - Homemade Russian Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.2
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 189.1 mg
- Sodium 572.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 12.9 g