Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original recipe called for a whole freshwater fish, cleaned and cut into pieces, but tilapia filets are easier. Spring onions are not the same as scallions or green onions. They have a round "bulb" about 1 inch across.
- In a soup pot, bring water to a boil with lemon grass (or lemon rind) and salt; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish and fish sauce and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat again and add tomatoes and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard lemon grass (lemon rind) and add spring onions and cilantro. Stir in lemon juice to taste.
- More fish sauce can be added also, if desired.
- Serve hot.