Recipe by Outta Here
The original recipe called for a whole freshwater fish, cleaned and cut into pieces, but tilapia filets are easier. Spring onions are not the same as scallions or green onions. They have a round "bulb" about 1 inch across.
- 4 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised (or 2 strips lemon rind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb tilapia fillet, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (coriander)
- lemon juice, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, bring water to a boil with lemon grass (or lemon rind) and salt; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish and fish sauce and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat again and add tomatoes and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard lemon grass (lemon rind) and add spring onions and cilantro. Stir in lemon juice to taste.
- More fish sauce can be added also, if desired.
- Serve hot.