Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Phuket Thai Restaurant, in Hawai'i.
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 2 medium fresh Thai chiles
- 2 cups shredded papayas (Thai papaya recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic and chiles until broken into small pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Use a spoon to scrape the sides of the mortar and turn the ingredients.
- Pound the papaya until it is limp and soft.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to a balance of sour, hot, salt and sweet.
- Garnish with fresh ongchoi, in 4-inch pieces.
I haven't tried this recipe yet because my thai cooking teacher is quite adamant that shrimp paste must never be added to a dish without being fried in a hot pan for at least a full minute. Can you make this dish without the shrimp paste?