1/1 Photo of Lao Nai Yang Yu (Chinese Spicy Mashed Potatoes)
This is a dish our family likes to order in Kunming. The name literally means "Old granny potatoes" because it's well-suited to people who have no teeth. I've never seen how it's made, but I found the following description at http://www.etours.cn/china_city_guide/yunnan_travel_guide/dining/kunming_food.php : "Making method is very simple and popular for people of all ages. In fact we can think of it as a kind of mashed potato stir-fried with vegetable oil, chopped shallot and onion, and sliced green pepper and hams and so on. Assistant materials are added according to individual taste." With that description and my own memory of the dish to go on, here's a recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel potatoes, and dice into 1-inch cubes.
- 2Boil potatoes in water for 10 minutes or until done. Drain water.
- 3Mash potatoes briefly with a hand masher--there should still be a lot of large lumps.
- 4Heat empty wok over highest heat until you can see heat rise from the surface.
- 5Add peanut oil and swirl in wok for a moment until heated.
- 6Add garlic cloves and chilies and toss in oil for a moment until fragrant. If the garlic starts to brown before you get the other ingredients added, move off heat for a moment.
- 7Add green onions, fennel, chili paste, and salt and stir-fry for a moment until ingredients are fully combined and green onion is wilted. (The fennel of Yunnan has only leafy green parts, no bulb, so it resembles dillweed.).
- 8Add potatoes, stir-fry until ingredients are thoroughly combined and potatoes are heated through.
- 9Serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal (a couple of meat dishes, a green vegetable, lao nai potatoes, a soup, and white rice).
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lao Nai Yang Yu (Chinese Spicy Mashed Potatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.6
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 591.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g