Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is like the discontinued Pillsbury Chocolate Macaroon Tunnel Cake mix, only I think this is an improvement on that cake! The rich chocolate cake and the homemade macaroon filling made the difference!
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sweetened coconut (chop fine in food processor)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Grease a bundt pan.
- Mix together the oil, water, 4 eggs, and the sour cream till blended.
- Mix in the cake mix and the pudding mix.
- Pour 2/3 of the batter into the bundt pan.
- Put the macaroon filling on top of batter forming a ring only in the center of the layer.
- Top with remaining cake batter.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 1 hour.
- Cool cake in pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cool completely.
- Spoon glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Whip egg whites till stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar while continuing to whip.
- Stir in the vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Mix the flour with the finely chopped coconut, and fold into the egg white mixture.
- Beat all ingredients with electric mixer till smooth. If necessary, add more milk to make the glaze a slightly "runny" consistency.
Very good. Made a nice size bundt cake. I only had enough coconut for 1/2 of the filling but that still made enough to go all the way around the cake.
Made this cake for PAC Fall 09. The cake turned out perfect...I had a little trouble with the glaze as mine was a bit too runny but added some more powdered sugar and it set up nicely...Great fancy cake to take somewhere.