Recipe by Rita~
Creamy risotto with langostino's, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms topped with scallops and bacon. Langostinos look like a small, stubby lobster with a sweet delicate taste. In place of some of the water try shrimp stock and or clam broth. But really not needed because this if full of flavor. FYI defrost scallops completely and wrap in paper towels with a weight on it to remove excess water to brown instead of steaming the scallops.
- 4 slices bacon
- 24 ounces sea scallops (12)
- 10 ounces langostino prawns, cooked (not prawns but needed to put prawns because langostions wouldn't be excepted in the ingredients) or 1 small shrimp, peeled cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, 1 cup diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 20 saffron threads
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning (to taste) or 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, adding (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a large heavy pot. Remove bacon leave bacon fat in pot. Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle.Set aside.
- Season scallops with creole seasoning or Old Bay. Brown scallops in the same pan bacon was fried in using (bacon fat, butter, or olive oil) pan. Do not crowd the scallops or they won`t brown. Remove and set aside.
- Place water in a separate pot and bring to boil and keep hot over low heat.
- To the same pot add 1-2 tablespoons bacon fat, or olive oil or butter if needed saute the mushrooms and saute until tender and liquid has evaporated. Season with fresh cracked pepper to taste add the sun dried tomatoes. Remove from pot and set aside. Leaving as much bacon fat and oil from the sun dried tomatoes in pan.
- Add a touch of butter if needed and saute the onions 3 minutes add garlic, saffron and rice stir to coat about one minute.
- Add white wine and cook until completely absorbed.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the simmering hot water at a time until all the water is absorbed. Stirring to prevent sticking for about 30 minutes of adding water and stirring till creamy consistency and rice is tender but firm.
- Add to the rice the mushrooms, tomatoes, langostino, cheese, parsley and seasoning.
- Plate topping with 2 to 3 scallops and crumbled bacon.
- Take note I didn`t used any salt because the cheese, the creole seasoning and bacon lends alot of salt to the dish. But if desired go ahead and season to taste.