Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An open faced sandwich from Norway. I sometimes use 4 hogie rolls in place of the long loaf to make four individual plates. Other lunch meats and cheeses can be used, tailor it to suit your tastes.
- 4 ounces pate or 4 ounces liverwurst, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved or 8 of the tiny tomatoes
- 1 large lemon
- 8 baby dill gherkins
- 1 long loaf firm bread, unsliced (such as French or Italian)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced cooked ham
- 1⁄4 lb jarlsberg cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb nokkelost cheese, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, scored and cut into thin slices
- 1 small bibb lettuce (or leaf lettuce)
- fresh dill sprig (to garnish) (optional)
- 1 bunch watercress (to garnish) (optional)
- 1⁄2 small red pepper, cut in strips for garnish (optional)
- Cut the lemon in half the long way, Cut one half into 4 wedges and the other half into thin slices.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise and trim so it will sit flat with the cut sides up. Place on a cutting board or large platter or tray.
- Butter the cut side of each half.
- Arrange the pate, salmon, ham, cheeses,cucumber, lemon, tomato and gherkins attractively on lettuce leaves on top of the bread halves.
- Garnish the platter with dill sprigs, watercress, and pepper strips.
It's a good thing that a Scandinavian open-faced sandwich is so versatile. I used the pate, the tomatoes, lemon gherkins, some slices of Tomato Onion Rye Bread, Tomato Mayonnaise , ham, jarlsberg, muenster, cucumber, and leaf lettuce. Smash it down, and start eating! Yes, it was messy. Was it good? You bet! Have enough for another sandwich tomorrow. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Julie. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6.
I know it is supposed to be open-faced, but this was really messy to try and eat. However, the taste is very nice. I added some fresh basil leaves to the top, and I really liked that addition. Made for ZWT6 Zingo by an Unruly Under the Influence. Thanks for sharing.
Had to make this for my husband, he loves sandwiches like this and he did love this one!! We both did. Great blend of flavors and except for being messy to eat (which actually made if a fun meal) all was great!!! Thanks for posting ZWT6