Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A filling and delicious breakfast for a cold winter morning.
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4-1 cup chopped dried apple (or dried apricots, or dried mixed fruit)
- 1 cup heavy cream (warm or chilled)
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a medium baking dish.
- Add the oats and butter to a heatproof mixing bowl.
- Pour 1 ½ cup boiling water over them and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- When well mixed, stir in the apples.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared dish.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes, then uncover and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, until thick and bubbly.
- Spoon into bowls (it will be stickier than boiled oatmeal) and serve hot with cream drizzled around the cereal and a dusting of cinnamon.
I wanted to make a baked oatmeal and chose this recipe because I was out of eggs. I'm so glad I did try it! I really liked that the oatmeal gets most of its sweetness from the dried fruits, not from tons of added sugar. For the fruit I used dried cranberries and raisins, and served it with only a bit of milk on top to reduce the fat content. I think next time I would bake it a bit longer to get more of a toasted oat flavour, but this is a wonderful recipe sure to be made again. Thanks for posting it!