Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The real deal - This is standard fare in this county! Enjoy this recipe!
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup tapioca (pearl or regular sized)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- Heat milk until skin forms on top.
- Add tapioca and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat eggs and add sugar and vanilla.
- Slowly add this to the hot milk.
- Cook and stir until almost boiling and thickened.
- Cool completely. Just before serving, add Cool Whip.
Outstanding old-fashioned tapioca pudding! I loved the custardy taste and the creaminess. My only change in the recipe was to use 1/2 c. sugar and 1/2 c. Splenda. It turned out more than sweet enough, and I couldn't even tell that the sugar was reduced by more than half. I had to stir throughout the entire cooking process because the milk (I used 2%) was sticking a little to the bottom of my pot, and I tempered the egg mixture before adding it (which made all the difference in preventing that grainy, "cooked egg" texture). I will definitely be making this on a regular basis!
Very rich, nice flavor - just what I was looking for. The pudding was not too firm and not too soft. My only problem was that it was a bit grainy, and not as smooth as I would like. It could be my technique. I need to remember to use a nice heavy bottomed- or non-stick pot. I'm keeping this recipe! It's as close as I've been to the tapioca of my dreams!