Now THIS is Lancaster County cooking! This is an Amish/Mennonite specialty dish! You will NOT be disappointed! Of course in our area, many of the markets and butcher/meat shops, sell ham loaf meat (already ground and mixed) but I've simplified this by making it possible for all of you outside of the area to create your own! This is SO delicious! ENJOY!
- Grind meat (if necessary).
- Mix ground meats, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper and milk together.
- Shape into a loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
- For the sauce, mix the brown sugar, dry mustard, water and vinegar together.
- Pour sauce over loaf.
- Continue to bake for another hour.
This recipe was SO GOOD! I made ham balls and used the pineapple glaze (that I tweaked a bit) for them and it was just like my husband's grandma (from Amish Country) makes. I wound up baking the ham balls for 45 minutes and then I transferred them to a crock pot and poured the glaze over them and let them cook for a few hours. It was really good. Thank you so much for posting!
We love it too. Best ham loaf ever. I didn`t change a thing. Many thanks.
I bought "ham balls' at a farmer's market and hoped I could find a recipe and here it is. Very good dish!!