Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great recipe from the Lancaster County cookbook.
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk (whole preferred)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crouton
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; lightly butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions; rinse, drain, set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the flour, mustard, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until bubbly.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop and gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a good simmer, whisking continually, then lower the temperature and simmer for 1 minute.
- Lower the heat and radually add in 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar, stirring constantly, and cook until cheese is melted.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni.
- Turn mixture into the buttered casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Top with the sliced tomato, then the croutons.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
I left out the tomato & croutons and added a bit more cheese 'cause that's how we like it. This has the perfect tang of mustard. Easy & delish!