Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had a request to add this "Amish" recipe. Can adjust the saffron and milk to make the filling as yellow as egg yolks and very very moist.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 cups bread, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the saffron in 2 to 3 tablespoons of the milk until its color is released (do not boil).
- Saute the chopped onion and celery in melted butter over low heat until soft.
- Add all the milk and saffron to the beaten egg and pour it over the bread.
- When the celery and onion are soft, mix all ingredients together.
- Bake in an uncovered buttered casserole at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until it forms a crust.