Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe on the web while I was on a search for ZWT recipes.
Make and share this Lancashire Roots and Beans Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can broad beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Put all root vegetables into a very large pot with 3 quarts of water, a tsp of salt, black pepper, bay leaf, a pinch of thyme and a pinch of rosemary.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer very gently with lid on for at least 2 hours.
- When all vegetables are cooked, add all the beans.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with bread.
I liked that this followed a lot of the older generation meals from North of England in that it uses just a few ingredients to make something very filling and pretty healthy. I do think it needs some sort of stock rather than simply water. I ended up stirring in some vegetable stock powder towards the end and it lifted it a good deal. Also,it needed a heavier hand with the seasoning than I would normally use but in the end it resulted in a filling and economical vegetarian meal. Made for Zee Zany Zesty Cookz for ZWT 6.