Recipe by kiwidutch
Posted for Zaar World Tours. This has been adapted from a British cookbook called "Favourite Harvest Recipes - Traditional Seasonal Fare" and is slightly different to other potato cake recipes in that it includes baking powder. I have since added the garlic, spring onions and cheese to the original recipe to pep it up a notch, so here is the original recipe with my additions added in :) ZWT REGION: England.
Top Review by bigbadbrenda
Hubby kept saying these are good what did you do. I really enjoyed these they were so easy to make I used an egg white instead of a full egg. I served this with fish and peas. Excelent meal and will do these again for sure. Thank you.
- 1 lb potato, peeled (450g)
- 1 ounce butter (30g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces self raising flour (115g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cheese, grated (115g)
- 1 -2 whole garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (finely chopped) or 2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes until half cooked then add the onion and garlic into the pot. Mash together once potatoes are fully cooked.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients to make a soft dough. It should not be sticky.
- Roll out onto a floured board until it is 1/2 inch thick (1.25 cm) and cut into round or triangle shapes. Cook 5-7 minutes on each side in a heavy based fry pan until golden brown. Serve immediately with plenty of butter.