2 hrs 5 mins
The joy of a good sausage is that fried, fatty quality and a strong mystery seasoning. Veggie sausages are tricky, but after years of trying I think this is a pretty good version. Any crumbly sharp cheese can be used as a sub for the lancashire.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 21 ounces lancashire cheese, grated (1 lb 5oz)
- 7 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, freshly chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup milk, to bind
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the onion gravy
- 1Place all the sausage ingredients except the oil in a large bowl, season well, and mix it all up with your hands. When you taste it, overseason it by about 15 per cent, so it's a bit more salty and peppery than you'd normally have - the mixture loses some of its power as it chills and cooks. Chill the mixture for two hours.
- 2Meanwhile, make the gravy. Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the onions, garlic and sugar over a low heat until golden. Sprinkle on the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the gravy browning and stock and bring to the boil. Season, then simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- 3Mould the chilled sausage mix into sausage shapes - you should get about twelve decent bangers out of it, depending how big you like your sausage.
- 4You can either shallow-fry the sausages in a little oil or deep-fry them in a lot of oil; I think the deep-fry method brings the best out of the flavour and texture. Fry them for about five minutes until golden, then drain well on some kitchen paper and serve with the gravy.
- 5This fabulous grub is great with mashed potato (try it with the addition of wholegrain mustard), with a salad or in a bun smothered in ketchup, onions and mustard and served with chips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lancashire Cheese Sausages With Onion Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (1120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.0
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 153.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
liquid gravy browner