Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Lana is my mom and this is one of my all time favorite dinners. This recipe calls for a whole sleeve of saltines - I use Zesta. I am not going to count them for the 'zaar editors, but from Keebler's website, it's approximately 40 crackers.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2 lbs 70% lean ground beef
- 40 -45 saltines
- 2 cups chopped white onions or 2 cups yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning (i leave this out)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can Carnation instant milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder (not garlic salt if using salted crackers)
- 1 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese
- line 9X13 baking pan with foil.
- mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- place french bread, sliced and somewhat wafered, in the pan.
- cover loaf of bread with meat mixture and bake at 375 F degrees for 35-40 minutes in preheated oven.
- remove and add grated cheese over top and place back in oven until cheese is completely melted.
This is really good! It's a new twist on meatloaf. Very kid friendly - they kept coming back for more! And they wanted leftovers for breakfast! Thanks for posting!