Prep 3 hrs 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lammas Holiday celebration bread.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 2 (2 tablespoon) packages dry yeast
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups white flour
- Cook the oats in 4 cups boiling water until they are just soft about 5-10 minute
- Stir in honey, salt, and wheat germ.
- Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water and stir into oats with 3 cups of the wheat flour.
- Beat this sponge with wooden spoon for a few minutes.
- Cover bowl with tea towel.
- Let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled volume.
- Stir down sponge.
- Stir in raisins & remaining 3 cups wheat flour.
- Sprinkle 1 cup white flour over a flat surface and turn the dough out onto it.
- Sprinkle the second cup of white flour on top of the dough and carefully begin kneading.
- Knead for about 10 min or until smooth and elastic.
- Form into ball.
- Put in large, buttered bowl.
- Turn so it is evenly buttered.
- Cover with tea towel and put the dough away to rise for another hour or until doubled in volume.
- Punch down.
- Cut into 4 even parts.
- Form each into a loaf and place in 4 buttered medium-size pans.
- Cover with tea towels.
- Let rise for about ½ hour.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400F for 15 min, then turn heat down to 350F and bake for another 30-40 minute.