Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
That secret of a good Lamington is to make the cake mixture from scratch.
FOR THE CAKE
- 6 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornflour
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 3 teaspoons butter, melted
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
FOR THE ICING
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl then beat the eggs until thick and creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat well until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a large bowl, mix the self raising flour with the cornflour.
- Add the butter to the hot water.
- Add the flour mix to the beaten eggs and stir well then add the hot water mixture.
- Combine very well.
- Pour the batter into a 23cm.
- square cake tin that has been well greased.
- Bake the cake at 180°c.
- for 35 minutes then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and cocoa together then add the melted butter and hot milk.
- Stir well until the mixture is smooth.
- Cut the cake into squares then dip each square into the chocolate icing then roll the cake in the coconut.
- Drain on a wire cake rack.
- *If you wish, cut the squares in half and spread with jam before dipping.
This review is only for the icing, which turned out beautifully. I did, however, end up having to heat the icing in a bowl over simmering water to completely melt the sugar and get rid of all lumps, and I returned the bowl to the simmering water whenever the icing seemed to thicken too much (maybe I'm just slow at coating the cake squares.) * I did attempt the cake recipe, but will not rate, because I was under the impression I could substitute extra fine ground corn meal for the cornflour. The result was a very good cake-like cornbread that was unsuitable for lamingtons. I now assume that cornflour is corn starch in the US???
Bloody beautiful mate! Made for the Australia Day Celebrations & Menu Competition
Aussie Aussie Aussie!!! These are so good, even wheat, dairy and sugar-free! I hope I leave enough for the kids!!!