Recipe by Evie*
Another Kiwi icon.
Top Review by Chef floWer
Yummy! Thank you for a easy lamington 'cheat' recipe. Made these for Little Miss' 6th Birthday party and she really enjoyed them. The party guest also liked them. She preferred the chocolate lamington more then the red lamington but I think they both tasted yummy. Thank you Evie*
For red lamingtons
- 1 (85 g) packet raspberry Jell-O gelatin
For chocolate lamingtons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 350 g icing sugar
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- 500 g unfilled rectangular sponge cakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut (thread coconut can be used)
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare jelly according to packet instructions.
- Cover and leave to cool for 1 hour (approx) You will need to use it before it turns to jelly.
- Melt butter, add cocoa dissolved in boiling water.
- Mix in sifted icing sugar, add vanilla, and beat well.
- Cut sponge in to smallish squares.
- Place coconut into shallow bowl.
- Dip half of the sponge squares in the chocolate icing turning to coat evenly on all sides.
- Dip immediately into coconut covering all sides.
- Dip the remaining squares in the red jelly and cover with the coconut.
- Leave to dry on cake rack then store in air tight container for up to 2 days.
- To serve, split and fill with whipped cream.