Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ganache works well for the icing.
Make and share this Lamingtons recipe from Food.com.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9-by-9-inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Fold in yolks.
- Add flour and cornstarch.
- Dissolve butter in boiling water and add to batter.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to stand for several minutes before turning out on a cake rack.
- Leave cake in the open overnight.
- Cut into cubes.
- Make icing.
- With a fork, dip each cube of sponge cake into the icing.
- Allow the excess icing to drip off.
- Roll cake in shredded coconut.
- Place the cake on a sheet of parchment or wax paper to allow the coating to set.
- Icing: Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder together,add butter, vanilla and boiling water.
- Stir to mix well.