Recipe by Polly_Waffle_Kid
This is a family recipe that we have used for years!!! An Aussie favourite too!! It is recommended that you bake the lamington cake the day before you cut or ice the cake, but I just wait until it has cooled for a few hours until it is completely cool.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 500 g icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 375 g desiccated coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs until light, gradually add sugar, continue beating until mixture is thick and sugar is completely dissolved (approx. 10 mins).
- Sift dry ingredients several times and then melt the butter in hot water. Sift the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold in until combined. Then gently fold in hot water and butter.
- Pour into well greased 28cm by 18cm lamington tin. Bake in moderate oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 24 hours or until completely cooled.
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into top of double saucepan. Add softened butter and milk. Stir thoroughly.
- Stir constantly over hot water until icing is of good coating consistency. Keep icing over hot water while dipping lamingtons.
- If icing becomes too thick, add a little extra warmed milk or water.
- Cut the cake into 24 even pieces(squares or rectangles). Hold each piece of cake on a fork and dip each piece in the icing. Toss immediately in the coconut.
- Allow to stand on a wire rack until icing sets.