Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Traditional Australian favourite--easy to make especially with a store brought sponge
- 1 butter recipe cake mix, baked in a greased 28 x 18cm lamington (a not too deep rectangular tin)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 4 -5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water (metric)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- desiccated coconut
- For best results bake the cake the day before or, if you have stored the cake in the freezer, allow to defrost 24 hours before icing.
- Cut cake into 21 squares 2 Chocolate Icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except coconut and stir until smooth and shiny, using a little more water if necessary to reach the right consistency.
- Use immediately, keeping bowl over hot water.
- Add a little more boiling water if icing begins to thicken.
- Dip the squares of cake in icing.
- A carving fork or skewer is useful.
- Allow to drip for a minute then roll in coconut.
- Leave on wire rack to cool.