Recipe by JanelleC
Traditional Lamingtongs made with your own home made sponge. My mum used to make these all the time YUM!
Top Review by Rachelnb
I found the sponge to be more of a cake then a sponge but the result was very tasty and they were very easy to make! Will probably use the cake recipe again as a cake but will look for something a bit lighter next time I make lamingtons.
- 125 g butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk (approx)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2-2 tablespoon cocoa
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease lamington tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and salt, add alternately with milk to mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Blend well, but do not over beat.
- Add a little more milk if necessary to form a softy dropping consistency.
- Spread evenly into prepared tray, bake in a moderate oven 180 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes or until cooked.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To make icing sift icing sugar in a bowl.
- Blend cocoa with a little boiling water and work into icing sugar adding more water if necessary then add vanilla.
- When cake is cold cut into square of uniform size.
- Dip each cake in icing then roll in coconut.
- Set aside to become firm.
- Repeat for remaining squares.