Recipe by mummamills
There are a few liver recipes around, all just a little different, but you don't have to LOVE liver to make this. I don't really like the texture of liver, but I adore the gravy it makes as it cooks! this recipe comes from my mum.
Top Review by Shazzie
Wow! I was a bit worried about not being a lover of liver as was the 1st reviewer, but you all - "liver-lovers" or not just have to try this! Made for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #29 as a favour to my BF who loves liver but I never cook it for her. She luuuuved it and I went gaga over the gravy. In fact, mummamills, I suggest you post/market this dish as a "gravy" recipe with a "secret" ingredient, its that good.
- 500 g lambs liver (thinly sliced and prepared )
- 1 cup plain flour (up to)
- 2 tablespoons French onion soup (1/2 packet)
- 4 slices of aussie bacon (Canadian)
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In an electric frypan, or large frypan, heat the oil.
- Cut the rind from the bacon and add to oil. Chop bacon into 2cm (1 inch) pieces and add to oil. Stir till very lightly browned, remove with slotted spoon. Discard rinds (or nibble them while no one is looking).
- Mix the soup and flour and season.
- Add butter to the oil mix and mix well.
- When bubbling, coat each slice of liver in flour mixture and add to frypan.
- Move them a around and turn as soon as they turn golden.
- When all the slices have been turned,.
- Sprinkle enough of the flour/soup mix over the liver to absorb all the fat, then add enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil, stirring until evenly thickened.
- Add sauce.
- Simmer 3 minutes and serve.
- If you hate liver, simmer for a few hours, adding water when needed, give the dog the liver and have the gravy over a mountain of mashed potatoes and veg.