Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Lamb and spinach is always a good combination in Indian curries. Not Indian but very nice is this Greek style dish which has that combination. It is very simple and this was "born" after a holiday in Greece and trying to re-create the taste and with that the memories of a holiday! My husband likes this with rice, I prefer it with orzo.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs cubed lamb
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup bouillon or 1 cup stock
- 1 3⁄4 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese, to taste
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the cubed lamb, heat the oil in a dutch oven and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until the onion gets translucent.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer slowly for 40- 50 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Was the spinach and cook for about 5-7 minutes, without adding any water, drain very well and chop roughly.
- When the lamb had its cooking time, add the spinach together with the oregano and the lemon juice.
- On a medium heat and stirring regularly, cook until most cooking juices have evaporated, but it should still be moist.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the feta cheese.
This was really really good! We did increase the garlic a bit. We served with rice, even the baby loved it!
This is probably one of the easiest, yet best lamb dishes I've ever made. I didn't make any changes to the recipe and I was very pleased. The feta cheese sprinkle was like icing on the cake. I will make this again and maybe add some sliced mushrooms to it. Thanx for a versatile, easy and tasty dish. Your memory lives on.
This was very nice. I added some chopped spring onion as well onion to the lamb and added the spinach raw (washed, drained and roughly chopped). There was a lot of juice so I added in 1/4 cup of rice, making the recipe a bit more like a Greek lamb fricasse. My husband and I liked it but the kids were less enthusiastic sadly. A nice dish if your family eats spinach.