Recipe by Judy-Jude
I love "lamb Shish Kabob" I have never used ground lamb before, so I thought that I would make my recipe based on that. I wanted the lamb mixture to stand alone and came up with idea of making a relish out of tomato, carrot, onion and stuffed green olives. Then I thought that it needed some sauce and came up with the idea of making a Skordalla type sauce out of the Ricotta. That was the tough one!!! I made it several ways and then finally settled on this one. If you use skewers, you can also cook them on the grill, however, you will want to soak the skewers first. I did not have to soak them for the frying pan. This can be used as an appetizer, side dish, Main dish and other categories.
Top Review by Skipper/Sy
This "Triple Delight" recipe with Kabobs, Greek Garlic Sauce and Relish was very delicious. Plus it was a very quick and easy recipe to made as well. I cut the recipe in half the first time I made it. Since I liked it so much I made it a second time, but enhanced it a little to my liking. First, I made round oblong and a slightly flat paddies and fried them in a pan. Instead of the Ricotta Cheese, I used some very rich Greek Goat Yogurt. For the Relish I added extra veggies besides the ones called for in the recipe and with a touch of olive oil. The Shish Kabob's were very nice & tasty, the Skorthalia Sauce was creamy rich and the Relish with olives was real good as well. Enjoy it with pita bread and some extra olives and feta cheese on the side! Finally, trying the original recipe or making it to your taste, this is a great 5 star dish!
- 3 small pita pockets, cut in half
- 6 wooden skewers, cut in half (12" long) (optional)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme, remove stems
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for cooking)
Step 2 for Ricotta Skordalla Sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Step 3 for Car-Tom-Oni-Oli Relish
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 -8 stuffed green olives, diced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- For Step 1- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Regrigerate until ready to use.
- I let my mixture set overnight in the refrigerator.
- For Step 2- Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- I refrigerated mine overnight.
- For Step 3- Combine ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- I refrigerated this overnight.
- Because of the garlic in the meat mixture and the sauce, I did not add any garlic or spices to this relish.
- The carrots gave it some sweetness and the stuffed green olives did all the work for some extra flavor.
- I didn't know what to call this, so I took the first 3 letters off each ingredient.
- Step 4: You don't have to use the skewers, you can just make small meatballs.
- I made meatballs about the size of a walnut and shaped them into a 2 1/2" long cylinder around the skewer, one per skewer.
- I cooked and browned them in a large frying pan, with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, about 6-9 minutes.
- Step 5: Slip lamb off the skewers and place in pita bread halves, spread some"Car-Tom-Oni-Oli" Relish over the lamb and drizzle with Ricotta Skordalla Sauce.
- Serve immediately.