1/2 Photos of Lamb With Pear Tagine
2 hrs 20 mins
L. Duch's Note:
Tagine are Moroccan slow-cooked meat, fruit and vegetable dishes which are almost invariably made with lamb, but beef makes a nice alternative. I happened upon this recipe on the Berber Trading Company site while shopping for tagines. I love lamb and Moroccan food and this one looked interesting. This has a really nice flavor and goes well served with a flat bread or rice. Smells heavenly while cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 lbs lamb, lean and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- water, enough to cover the meat
- 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1In a large sauce pan gently fry the onion in the olive oil until soft.
- 2Add lamb, ginger, and coriander to the pan and cook until it changes color.
- 3Add cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, and water to just cover the meat.
- 4Salt to taste.
- 5Cover and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 1.5-2 hours.
- 6If there seems to be a bit too much liquid, displace the lid after an hour of cooking.
- 7Add the pears to the meat together with almonds. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the pears are soft.
- 9For a different twist on this, you can substitute mixed vegetables of your choice, instead of pear. It would make it more savory than sweet.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb With Pear Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.3
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 120.0 mg
- Sodium 153.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 37.0 g