Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
- 3⁄4 cup yellow lentils
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, boned
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 5 -6 green chilies
- 2 cups chicken stock (for a richer dish) or 2 cups water
- coriander leaves, chopped (to garnish)
- Soak the lentils in cold water for 2 hours.
- Heat oil and brown the meat from all sides in moderate heat.
- Remove from pan.
- Saute the carrots and onions until softened and then put the meat to the pan.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, nutmeg, garam masala and green chillies.
- Saute for a minute and add water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook till the meat is 3/4th cooked.
- Drain the lentils and add to the meat.
- Cook till meat is tender and lentil is cooked.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Serv garnished with chopped corriander leaves.
- Goes well with rotis and white rice.