Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A very good Indian recipe based on one from Linda Fraser's, The Book of Curries & Indian Foods. I serve this with cooked basmati rice. NOTE: I included the recipe for HOT SPICE MIX because I didn't know the equivalent name for it; please do not add all of it to this dish! It only calls for 2 tablespoons.
HOT SPICE MIX
- 1⁄4 cup cumin seed
- 8 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seed
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds, plus
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean lamb
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into flowerets
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- lime slice, to garnish
- MAKE HOT SPICE MIX:.
- Dry roast all ingredients in heavy skillet over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes, until browned, stirring constantly.
- Cool completely, then grind to a fine powder in a coffee grinder, or in a Magic Bullet blender, or pestle and mortar.
- Store up to 2 months in an airtight container.
- LAMB DISH:.
- Trim excess fat from lamb; cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- In large heavy saucepan, heat oil. Add onions. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, until soft, stirring frequently. Stir in gingerroot, garlic and 2 tablespoons of HOT SPICE MIX. Cook 1 minute. Add lamb; cook until browned all over.
- Stir in stock and salt; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Add cauliflowerets; cook another 5 to 10 minutes, until lamb and cauliflower are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in Garam Masala and lime juice and stir gently.
- Serve hot, garnished with lime slices.