This is a traditional preparation from the Abruzzo region of Italy. Subtly yet finely flavored, in my opinion. We like it best served with roasted potatoes. It may look like a long complicated process, but it really isn't!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- 2When the oven has reached temperature, cut peppers in quarters and lay them skin side up on a foil-covered baking sheet; place in the oven and roast until the skins are blackened, about 15-20 minutes (see step 9 for continuing with pepper preparation).
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over moderate heat.
- 4Add garlic cloves and saute until they turn golden; remove them and discard.
- 5Increase the heat slightly, then add the lamb to the pot and saute until all the pieces are well browned (stirring as needed).
- 6Add the white wine and continue to cook until the alcohol has cooked off, about 5 minutes (the raw alcohol smell will disappear).
- 7Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes at a strong simmer (adjust heat if need be) and stirring often; your liquid should be cooking down, but not completely disappearing.
- 8At this point, add enough boiling water just to cover the mixture; cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the meat becomes tender.
- 9Remove peppers from the oven and place in a paper bag, or a bowl covered by a plate and allow to rest 10-15 minutes.
- 10After this time, carefully remove the skins from the peppers, as well as seeds and stems.
- 11Cut each quarter into three strips, and set aside.
- 12When the lamb is cooked, add the pepper strips to the pot and continue to cook (lid off) only just until the peppers are warmed through and the sauce has considerably reduced (you don't want it to completely disappear, but you don't want it too liquid).
- 13Check seasoning (salt and pepper) and add more if desired.
- 14Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb With Bell Peppers (agnello Con Peperoni)
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.3
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 80.0 mg
- Sodium 455.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 22.9 g