- 1⁄2 lb dried split peas or 1⁄2 lb navy beans, soaked overnight,cooked until tender and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup hot strong beef broth, with
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, stirred in
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lamb shoulder or 1 leg of lamb (approx 3 lbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet and cook onions until soft.
- In casserole or roasting pan with lid; layer beans, onions and potatoes, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
- Pour beef broth with tomato paste over and add bay leaf.
- Season lamb, rub with crushed garlic and rosemary and place on top of beans.
- Roast, uncovered for 1 1/2- 2 hours, or until vegetables are tender and lamb is cooked to desired doneness.