Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Vindaloo .. one of the most popular Indian dishes in the world .. has roots in a tangy, spicy stew brought to the region by the Portuguese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (** adjust depending on your heat tolerance .. see notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled & cut into fine half-rings
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder (cut into 1? cubes)
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk (well stirred)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 small green chili pepper (** optional)
- Combine mustard, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt and vinegar in a cup and mix well. Set aside.
- Put oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until it's medium brown. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the spice paste and cook another minute. Add meat and stir-fry for about 3 minutes more.
- Add the coconut milk and water, cover & bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer for 60-70 minutes.
- ** Optional . Depending on the thickness and amount of sauce you prefer, the liquid can be reduced at this point. (I like to reduce the liquid until it's about 1/2 the amount the original recipe calls for). Uncover the pan, bring the liquid to a boil and simmer until the sauce is 1/2 the amount you started with. (About 10-15 minute).
- Remove from heat & serve.