Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Use leftover lamb and pan drippings from roast for this stew. From Saveur #89, Dec. 2005. Attributed to Dan Ansotgui.
- 2 lbs leg of lamb, leftover roasted pieces
- 2 cups drippings, from pan
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, medium peeled sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, cleaned and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onions and pepper, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pepper flakes and cook until they release their aroma.
- Add lamb pieces, wine and pan drippings.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add pimentos, cover pot and simmer until lamb is very tender, 2-3 hours more.
I left the cover off for most of the cooking, because the stew was otherwise a little thin. But what delicious flavors! The red peppers really permeated the dish. The vegetables all became very soft, so if you like a little body in your stew veggies, you might want to add a few more toward the end of cooking. We served these with buttered noodles. They would also be good with potatoes or rice. Thanks for posting!