2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pitted dates, halved
- 1/2 cup toasted whole almond
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- spiced couscous (this is in my recipe book)
- 1Pat lamb dry.
- 2Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 4Add lamb and onion and sauté until onion is soft and meat is brown.
- 5Heat ½ cup beef broth in small saucepan over low heat.
- 6Blend in saffron and stir to dissolve.
- 7Add saffron to lamb with remaining broth and cinnamon and bring to boil.
- 8Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lamb is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- 9Remove lamb from skillet using slotted spoon; discard cinnamon.
- 10Stir in honey, ground cinnamon and simmer 5 more minutes.
- 11Return lamb to pan.
- 12Add dates and continue simmering until dates are plump, about 5 minutes.
- 13Prepare spiced couscous (omitting raisins) to serve 6-8 people.
- 14Spoon couscous around edge of platter (a small brass one would be nice if you have one) and spoon tajine in center.
- 15Sprinkle tajine with almonds and sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Tajine with Dates
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 856.9
- Calories from Fat 569
- Total Fat 63.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 184.0 mg
- Sodium 386.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 42.1 g