Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious-sounding tagine recipe from Epicurious.
- 9 cups chopped onions, divided (sweet onions such a Vidalia or Maui, about 3 pounds)
- 3 lbs boneless lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread (crumbled)
- 4 cups plum tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Combine 3 cups chopped onions, lamb and 2 cups water in a heavy large pot. Add cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, salt, pepper, ginger and saffron. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer gently 1 1/2 hours. Add tomatoes and 2 tablespoons parsley. Continue to simmer, partially covered, until lamb is tender and juices thicken, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add remaining 6 cups chopped onion. Saute until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; saute until onions are deep brown, stirring often, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer lamb stew to a large shallow bowl. Scatter caramelized onions and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley over.