2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Another lamb tagine, this recipe uses ras el hanout (see my recipe). Prep time does not reflect overnight marinating. courtesy of the NY Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder or 3 lbs lamb necks, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped or 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, whole and blanched
- 3/4 cup honey (preferably dark)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup carrot, peeled,cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped.
- 1In a bowl combine the ginger, pepper, ras el hanout, saffron and water and mix well.
- 2Add the meat and rub in the paste, coating evenly.
- 3Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4In a Dutch oven or other heavy, lidded pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 5Add the onions, garlic, and cinnamon sticks and cook until the onions are translucent and the mixture is fragrant.
- 6Add the marinated meat to the pot and then the chicken stock to cover the meat.
- 7Bring the stock to a boil, and skim off any scum that appears.
- 8Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring from time to time.
- 9Add water if the pot becomes too dry.
- 10Stew until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 11Add the apricots, almonds, honey, carrots, and ground cinnamon and simmer, covered, stirring often to prevent scorching, until the meat is very soft and almost falling part, about 30 minutes longer.
- 12(If it is too soupy, uncover and simmer to reduce the sauce to a syrupy glaze.) Stir in the chopped parsley and transfer to a warmed serving dish.
- 13Serve immediately with couscous, rice or potatoes.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Tagine with Honey
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1289.5
- Calories from Fat 768
- Total Fat 85.3 g
- Saturated Fat 33.0 g
- Cholesterol 211.6 mg
- Sodium 624.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 65.9 g
- Protein 53.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix